• Foundation Maintenance
You may not think too much about how much foundation repair can cost you. The reality is that you can end up spending quite a bit of money on such expenses. Look out for any issues that may impact on the foundation. You need to:-
• Check for cracks no matter how small
• Fix plumbing issues in a timely manner
• Ensure you have proper drainage to remove water away from your property
• Get a professional to occasionally inspect your property because they understand what to look for, and what to do to avoid further damage
Be careful about the type of trees you plant near the foundation. Some plants have very intrusive roots, while others take in a lot of moisture, causing the soil to shrink. Installing a root barrier can help protect your foundation. You may also need the services of a tree removal company, where you have more established trees. It is cheaper to get rid of the plants than to have to undertake foundation repairs for your property.
• Septic System Maintenance
If you have a septic system on your property, you have to take good care of it. Since you are not part of the municipality sewerage system, maintenance aspects are on you. You must carry out regular inspections to ensure that it is not full. If it is, you need to pump it out as soon as possible; otherwise, you may face a septic system failure. Experts recommend an inspection every two years and a pump-out every 3-5 years depending on:-
• Number of people in the household
• The size of your septic tank
• How much wastewater you generate
• What ends up in your septic system? You should, for example, not pour chemicals or paint down the drainage system.
• Heating System Maintenance
Make sure you call in The Professionals to service your heating system at least once every year. They will clean it, change filters, and check for leaks.
Humidity will lead to the growth of mold and mildew, which can lead to serious health problems for anyone within the home. Areas such as the basement are especially vulnerable because they tend to be damp. Any custom home builders will probably advise you to install a dehumidifier to take care of such problems.
Home maintenance is critical if you want to avoid the cost of constant repairs. Consider it an investment to let The Professionals handle some of the jobs for you. They know exactly what to look for and what steps to take to arrest any issues before they get out of hand.
Owning property is one of the best things that can happen to anyone. It is a sound investment that can lead to greater returns in the future. You must, however, ensure that you take good care of it through proper maintenance. Be very vigilant about the condition of the property. Educate yourself on what you need to look out for because it could portend serious problems.
Some of the major areas you need to concentrate on include: –
Since it is an external part of the home, the roof takes quite a beating from the elements. Therefore, it is no wonder that roofing constitutes one of the significant costs with regards to home maintenance. To keep your roof repair cost at a minimum, do the following:-
• Regularly inspect the shingles to check for peeling, missing, curling or cracks.
• Professional roof inspection – if you use the services of a custom home builder, they should be able to carry-out professional roof inspections for you as part of their service. If not, they should have a network of professionals they can recommend
• Check out for water damage from leaks in the ceiling or attics.
• Keep the roof clean by scheduling in a thorough cleaning and washing once in a while
• Ensure there is no dirt buildup in the gutters which could cause an overflow of rainwater
• Avoid having overhanging branches because they may fall on your roof and damage it.
• Remove ice dams – One of the major contributors to roofing damage is ice dams. Usually, water thaws and finds its ways into soffit vents and roof shingles. By preventing the buildup of such, you manage to avoid having to do major roof repairs.